Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 July 2011

Plant of the Week

Kilmarnock Willow - Salix caprea 'Pendula' 


I was first drawn to this beautiful tree in my partner's mother's garden. In spring it's branches are laden in cute fluffy catkins (pussywillows) that look wonderful in a vase and keep for months. I had been looking for one for ages however they were quite pricey in the gardening shops like bunnings and mitre 10 mega. It wasn't until I was passing a nursery outside of Invercargill where I saw a sign "Willows ready soon" that I got really excited. This nursery is owned by someone I know, so I contacted him and he quoted the wonderful price of $56 including postage to Dunedin and I was sold. My tree arrived a few days later barerooted so I got it in the ground quick smart and then staked it. The birds have already become quite accustomed to it's presence in my garden and use it as a perch while waiting their turn in line to sugar water I put out on offer everyday. Now I just can't wait till spring.


Doesn't look like much at the moment, but after a years growth it really will be one of the best features of the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment