Search This Blog

Monday 18 July 2011

Ornamental Alliums


I have just purchased the "statement piece" for my garden. A gigantic allium is going to be swaying its sweet head above my flower bed. Ornamental alliums are relatives of your ordinary garlics and onions and are truly magnificent, Allium giganteum can reach up to one metre in height and has a massive twenty centimetre blossom. I purchased one of the above from Blueskin nurseries and it set me back a rather costly price of twenty dollars, but worth it, so I am not complaining. However one of these beauties wasn't enough and today I found via trademe a nursery that sells a smaller ornamental allium Allium spaerocephalon and a large number of other plants  from their base in Taranaki. I bought six planter bags each containing six bulbs and they are due to flower in December. The cut flowers might make excellent centre pieces for christmas dinner table! 





Globemaster - Allium giganteum




Allium spaerocephalon


Next time you see these wonders they will be hanging with some of my roses acting as a deterrent against the pesky aphids.



No comments:

Post a Comment