Search This Blog

Wednesday 13 July 2011

PhD Perk

One of the perks of studying bees as part of my PhD research is that I get to keep a few hives that belong to my lab at my house. Usually they cause me no trouble at all. They are right down the back of my section and I only occasionally have to don a beesuit to attend to them. 







However the other day I was down there after making a small garden bed and I had to tidy up the lawn. However as I began to mow I hit one of the hives sending it onto its side. Out flew several bees with me engaged in their sites. I ran around in circles slapping my head and arms until the buzzing had stopped. One of the suicide bombers had been caught in my jumper so I picked her out and "returned her to the hive" because I am just that nice. All that said imagine what I thought of my little encounter when I read this news story on http://www.stuff.co.nz


400 hives were spilt on the highway when the truck driver crashed. Mmmm what a sticky mess.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment