Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 August 2011

Identify this!

Because I am new to this gardening stuff, I always find myself wondering what plants around my garden and others are. Most of the time I have no way of identifying the plant until it flowers. This wee beauty below sits on the boundary of my section and is a little out of control but absolutely lovely with it's pretty pink flowers. I noticed last year that it had fruit as well and was wondering if they were edible. 



I described this unknown plant to a more experienced gardener at my work and he pointed me in the direction of this marvellous book.



The first few pages have an index arranged in flower colours and low and behold in the pink flower section under bushes I found Ribes sanguineum. The flowering current is a deciduous shrub which bears a dark purple oval berry that is edible however has little flavour. So although I won't be collecting berries later in spring the birds can help themselves. 




After a good look through  this book I found that a number of the plants in my garden are considered weeds. For example Buddleja, Centranthus ruber, Foxglove, Arum lily, and Forget me not. These are all lovely plants that can just get a little out of control under the right conditions so best keep an eye on them.  

Brilliant book for gardeners who are just starting out and want to identify those plants that just pop up and whether they are hot or not.



No comments:

Post a Comment